Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Sonnet by Luis de Camoes for my Wife

Skyped with my wife tonight from a continent away. Hung up and randomly found an English translation of a perfectly appropriate poem by Portugal's greatest poet, Luis de Camoes. Coincidence? I think synchronicity...










Beholding Her

When I behold you, Lady! when my eyes
Dwell on the deep enjoyment of your sight,
I give my spirit to that one delight,
And earth appears to me a Paradise.
And when I hear you speak, and see you smile,
Full satisfied, absorb'd, my centr'd mind
Deems all the world's vain hopes and joys the while
As empty as the unsubstantial wind.
Lady! I feel your charms, yet dare not raise
To that high theme the unequal song of praise,--
A power for that to language was not given;
Nor marvel I, when I those beauties view,
Lady! that He, whose power created you,
Could form the stars and yonder glorious heaven.

Here it is in the original Portuguese...

XVII

Quando da bela vista e doce riso

Tomando estão meus olhos mantimento,

Tão elevado sinto o pensamento,

Que me faz ver na terra o Paraíso.

Tanto do bem humano estou diviso,

Que qualquer outro bem julgo por vento:

Assim que em termo tal, segundo sento,

Pouco vem a fazer quem perde o siso.

Em louvar-vos, Senhora, não me fundo;

Porque quem vossas graças claro sente,

Sentirá que não pode conhecê-las.

Pois de tanta estranheza sois ao mundo,

Que não é de estranhar, dama excelente,

Que quem vos fez, fizesse céu e estrelas.

No comments:

Post a Comment